Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Never Say Never

Five things I thought I'd never ever ever do . . . and have done.

1. Go to law school
Somehow during my upbringing (ahem, Mom and Dad) I got the distinct message that going to law school was not a desirable life choice. (Maybe I imagined this, like I thought there was some big political reason for me never getting to join the Girl Scouts, and when I asked Mom about it, she said, "I don't know. Maybe you had a music lesson that day?") So I declared that I would never, ever do such a thing. But then there I was after three and half years of blissfully not thinking about a productive career or even what comes after college. My now-husband commented on my Spockian logic in arguments and got me to take the LSAT. My parents commented on how I could go to Case law school on a faculty-kid tuition waiver. And the rest is history.

2. Go to Case
Come to think of it, I am pretty sure I never intended to go to Case, what with both my parents working there. But at least in law school I could borrow their car (and run it into the garage door, oops).

3. Go back to school ever again after law school
I was absolutely sure of this up until this past summer, when I enrolled in creative writing courses at Cleveland State and had the time of my life. Now I am seriously considering pursuing an MFA.

4. Break up with a friend
Like breaking up with a guy, only a million times worse. But sometimes necessary.

5. Sign up for Weight Watchers
As a foodie raised by foodies, I was positive I could never look at each bite numerically (counting up the Weight Watchers daily "points"). But I looked around me (or tried to, I do need to lose a few pounds) and noticed that the people I know who have successfully lost weight have done it with WW. So after consulting with my trusty friend Jen, I joined the online version (I am way too introverted, not to mention busy, for meetings. The very thought makes me shudder). I actually really like it, though the website is just as addictive as the snacks I am learning to avoid.

6. Vote for a Republican President
Ha! Just seeing if you were paying attention. Ain't gonna happen. But in all other matters, never say never!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Didn't even get me for a second. Very nice list. YOU ROCK!

Lisa Chiu said...

Hilarious! But you need four more items - it has to be a Top 10 list!

E said...

It's when we let go of nevers and shoulds that we rock out.

But please for the love of god don't start equating food with points out loud. That just makes me nuts.

Anonymous said...

I second a Top 10 list. Bring it on, Claire. Then maybe I'll do one in response...